This week saw national ‘kiss a ginger day’! As a ginger myself I do love to cook and bake with ginger. Recently I’ve been experimenting with using fizzy drinks in my bakes and the outcomes have been delicious. So I thought this recipe is just perfect to share with you this week.
So let’s get started…
The ingredients you will need are:
- 250g plain flour
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150ml ginger beer
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 5 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- dark brown sugar to sprinkle on top
This is how we do it….
- Preheat oven to 150C / 300F / gas mark 2.
- In a large bowl, put the sugar, oil, golden syrup and eggs in together and beat until well mixed and the lumps of sugar are dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, place all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients gradually, making sure each time you mix well to remove any lumps.
- Add the ginger beer gradually, until well mixed in.
- Then pour into a greased and line 2lb loaf tin.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes. Once the cake is firm to the touch, remove from oven.
- Sprinkle immediately with a little dark drown sugar to decorate, then allow to cool for 10 minutes, before placing on the cooling rack.
- Served best with your favourite cuppa.